Trupanion Australia Claim Appeals
We hope that you never have reason to complain, but if you do we will do our best to work with you to resolve it in a fair, transparent and timely manner, in accordance with our appeals process.
The decision regarding your claim is based upon the terms and conditions of your policy and the facts available to us. If you are not happy with our decision, please refer to the three steps within our complaints handling procedure. This appeals process is part of that procedure.
To help us review the decision of your claim, we need some additional information, and there are several ways in which you can start an appeal.
The fastest way to get a review is using our appeals claim form and emailing [email protected] with the supporting information.
Download our appeal form (to print and write on or to fill in on your computer)
Once filled in, please email your form to [email protected]
If we are unable to resolve your concerns or we have not been able to provide you with a final decision within 30 days, we will provide you with the contact details for the external dispute resolution body.
You will have access to information about you which we have relied on in assessing your claim and an opportunity to correct any mistake or inaccuracies. This includes the right to ask for copies of reports related to your claim from service suppliers and external experts. In special circumstances, we may decline to provide access to or disclose information to you, such as:
- Where information is protected from disclosure by law, including the Privacy Act 1988;
- Where, in the case of a claim, the claim is being or has been investigated; or
- Where the release of the information may be prejudicial to us in relation to a dispute about your insurance cover or your claim (except in the case of External Experts’ reports), or in relation to your complaint.
If we decline to provide you access to information or decline to disclose information to you, we will not do so unreasonably, we will give you reasons for doing so, and we will provide you details of our complaints process.
If you have a complaint
Our complaints resolution process has three steps.
1. IMMEDIATE RESPONSE: Usually when you have a concern, we can resolve it immediately on the phone by calling 1300 328 042. Please supply your policy number to enable the enquiry to be dealt with promptly. Your complaint or enquiry will be dealt with by someone with appropriate authority.
2. INTERNAL DISPUTE RESOLUTION: If, after speaking to our team, you are still not happy with the outcome, you can take your matter further by contacting our Internal Dispute Resolution team.
The Internal Dispute Resolution team’s contact details are:
Phone: 1300 328 042
Email: [email protected]
Mail: Customer Complaints
P.O. Box 5469
Port Macquarie, NSW 2444
We will only ask for and rely on information relevant to our decision in dealing with your complaint. We will supply you with the information we relied on in assessing your complaint within ten business days, if you request it.
Where we identify, or you tell us about, an error or mistake in handling your complaint, we will immediately initiate action to correct it.
We will notify you of the name and relevant contact details of the employee assigned to liaise with you in relation to your complaint at each stage of the complaints process.
Our complaints process does not apply to your complaint if we resolve it to your satisfaction by the end of the fifth business day after your complaint was received by us, and you have not requested a response in writing. This exemption to the complaints process does not apply to complaints about a declined claim, the value of a claim, or about Financial Hardship.
All complaints made to our Internal Dispute Resolution team will be acknowledged within one (1) business day of being escalated.
After full consideration of the matter and provided we have all the necessary information, a written final response will be provided within 15 working days of receiving your complaint. Our response will outline the decision reached and the reasons for the decision.
If we are unable to resolve this matter in 15 working days, we will let you know and will provide a final response no later than 30 days from the date we received your complaint.
3. EXTERNAL DISPUTE RESOLUTION: If an issue has not been resolved to your satisfaction or you have not received a final response within 30 days of the receipt of your complaint, you can lodge a complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority, or AFCA. AFCA provides fair and independent financial services complaint resolution that is free to consumers.